WAWAWOW - Early Show
Following their critically acclaimed 2020 debut LP Pink Elephant which reached the top of 2SER's Favourite Releases of 2020, Sydney's psych-junk outfit WAWAWOW are back with brand new material and a fully revamped live show.
WAWAWOW have a name to suit the magic – it’s half jam, half Tetris. Carved out of the itches of four frustrated instrumentalists, the group evolved from a like-this-but-weirder attitude to something eccentrically rectangular, with a sound described as “a data-driven Thee Oh Sees for kids that keep their shirt on”.
With a bent, frenzied view of the psych-rock genre, WAWAWOW combine jittery synth with sporadic B-52s style vocals and absurdly indulgent guitars. The four-piece alternate between rhythmic refrain and fuzzy overkill, using pudgy effects to create a “cheeky, trippy, and delightfully screwy” feel, like if Charles Mingus covered The Strokes. Blacklights, glowing drumsticks and triggered rope lights add to the band’s praised live show, with a non-stop monolithic performance that has been electrifying Australian audiences over the last few years.
WAWAWOW are throwing out a “big, eccentric sound that Sydney will surely be hearing a lot more from.” Dig it now and dig it fast.
- Do not attend if you are feeling unwell
- All audience members will be required to sanitise & check-in upon entry to Waywards.
- Shows will be standing and limited to 50 per session to comply with Public Health Order requirements
- All patrons must be fully vaccinated and be able to display proof of vaccination upon entry
The venue will be taking a number of precautionary measures to ensure patron safety, including:
- Hand sanitiser dispensers on entry and throughout venue
- Signage and social distancing markers throughout the venue
- Regular sanitising of the venue and full clean after each day.